On 25 Jan 1944, this aircraft departed Kunming, China at 0740 CST for Chabua, India on a routine ferrying mission. The aircraft was assigned to the 14th Air Force, 308th Bombardment Group, 425th Squadron.
The aircraft experienced extreme instrument weather conditions upon entering India at 1045 IST and left the formation it was flying in. Cloud ceiling was at treetop level and visibility was less than 1 mi. Last communication from aircraft stated it was on a NW course at 15,000 ft. It did not reach Chabua. It was listed as missing in routine flight. No further information was available as of 20 Nov 1944. Crew declared dead. Dead: 8.
- Pilot: 1st Lt. William A. Swanson
- Co-Pilot: F/O Sheldon L. Chambers
- Navigator: 1st Lt. Irwin Zaetz
- Bombardier: 1st Lt. Robert E. Oxford
- Radio Operator: SSgt. Harry B. Queen
- Flight Engineer: SSgt. Charles D. Ginn
- Gunner: Sgt. Alfred H. Gerrans, Jr.
- Gunner: Sgt. James A. Hinson
View the Crashed Aircraft Site Report for B-24J #42-73308.
B-24J #42-73308 Expedition Photo Gallery
Click on any image for a larger view